Monday, June 11, 2007

Insight from the Dalai Lama

Morning musings:

"Secular ethics embraces the principles we share as human beings: compassion, tolerance, consideration of others, the responsible use of knowledge and power. These transcend the barriers between religious believers and non-believers; they belong not to one faith, but to all faiths."  -- H.H. The Dalai Lama

These seem universal and non-controversial; why haven't we as human beings been able to agree to disagree about the details, but stick to the common ethics inherent for humans? If all humans, no matter what religion, were to agree to these standards then it would be a huge step forward for peace.

compassion
tolerance
consideration of others
the responsible use of knowledge and power

"In the Buddhist view, hatred, anger, and desire are afflictive emotions, which simply means they tend to cause us discomfort. The discomfort arises from the mental unease that follows the expression of these emotions." -- H.H. The Dalai Lama

Yeah, I have known for a while that anger and hatred cause me to feel bad, and in the end I am only hurting myself. But I never thought of desire being in this category. This is applicable to me right now, since I am burning with this desire to move into my new house. I see how this "desire" is causing all sorts of mental unease, and causing me to do thoughtless and stupid things! I will have to meditate on this some more and try to reign it in........

No comments: